The online course developed by The Hungry Gardener to guide beginners on growing food at home.
The course covers the following Categories;
- THE SOIL - The importance of soil, and how critical it is to the success of growing food at home. How to determine what type of soil you have, and how you can improve it.
- THE SPACE - How to set up your veggie patch and start growing food from the ground up.
- THE PLANTS - What plants to grow. How to sow seeds and plant seedlings. What to look for when purchasing plants from your local nursery, and how to take cuttings to make more plants
- THE GROWING - How to Care for your plants. Tips and tricks on growing food at home.
- THE HARVEST - Fab’s favourite preserving recipes, and ways to enjoy your produce.
- THE PESTS - Common Pest and diseases, and how to deal with them. Organic Homemade remedies
Overview of Key Areas this course will cover:
- Where is the best place to start?
- What soil do you have? What soil should you buy?
- Importance of pH and its effect
- How to make soil. (Composting / Worm farming)
- Understanding and assessing the space in which to grow food.
- Double digging Vs No Dig
- How to build Raised garden beds
- Growing in pots and containers
- What best to plant
- Sowing seeds and propagating
- Taking cutting.
- Watering Requirements and irrigation systems
- How to construct simple shade
- Feeding the soil
- Different types of Mulch and their benefits
- Tools required and general maintenance
- Common Pest and diseases
- Homemade remedies
- Plus The Hungry Gardener's favourite recipes for preserving.
Growing food should be simple, fun and easy once you have a good understanding of the basics. By the end of the course, you will feel more confident in setting up and growing your own organic food successfully.
Always be growing... Stay Hungry!